On the 9th August 1890, my great grandmother, Blanche Jehan was born. Like many other french families at the turn of the century 1900, Blanche arrived in Jersey with her family for work and to live. It might have been a temporary move until the family had earned some money or a permanent move as there was no work in their home towns.
The following timeline shows the events of Blanche’s life that I am aware of:
- 1890 – Blanche Marie Josephine Jehan is born in Plancoet, Cotes-d’Amor, Bretagne, France. The names of her parents are unknown.
- 1911 Census – Blanche is 21 years old and is living with her husband Pierre, a farm labourer, at Samares, St. Clements, Jersey.
- 1912 – Blanche, aged 22, gives birth to a son, Peter Gosselin.
- 1914 – Blanche, 23, gives birth to another son, my grandfather, Rene Jean Gosselin on the 25th April.
- 1916 – Blanche, 26, gives birth to her third son, Henri Pierre Gosselin.
- 1921 – Blanche, 30, gives birth to a daughter, Blanche Olive Gosselin.
- 1922 – Blanche, 31, gives birth to a second daughter, Antoinette Gosselin.
- 1924 – Blanche, 34, gives birth to another daughter, Genevieve Augustine Henriette Gosselin.
The stars in the above image of the map show Plaine Haute (first star on left), where Blanche’s husband was born. Plancoet, where Blanche was born, St. Malo the possible harbour they left from to sail to Jersey and the island of Jersey. It is unknown how Pierre and Blanche met. Maybe it was on their travels by road through France. Maybe it was at the harbour or on the boat. Or maybe it was in Jersey? Whatever the circumstances, without that meeting my grandfather Rene would not have been born, nor my father, nor me.
That is all I have about Blanche’s life. Maybe you can provide more information. The following list shows some things I need to find out about Blanche:
- When did Blanche marry Pierre Gosselin?
- When did Blanche die and where is she buried?
- What were the names of her parents?
As I get ready to send this post I find an old note with two names that seem to be Blanche’s parents names:
her father – Eugene Marie Joseph Jehan- born April 1857 - Plancoët, Côtes-d’Armor, Bretagne, France
her mother - Blanche Félicie Marie LeClerc – born February 1854 - Plancoët, Côtes-d’Armor, Bretagne, France.
Although, I have not been able to confirm these details that I discovered on ancestry, they look pretty close to being the correct parents. It is always exciting to make new discoveries!
Thanks for stopping by